Venue Change Hosted by the Legal and HR Committees
There have been many important changes to HR related laws and practices in 2017, and this year’s program will review these changes. At the event, you will learn from a panel of legal and HR advisers about a number of provisions, applications and implications including:
- Amendments to the Labor Protection Act that require payment of severance pay to employees for their retirement.
- Emergency decree on foreign employment administration that imposes heavy penalties on employers and employees who do not hold proper work permits.
- Changes to the requirements and process for visas and work permits for experts and unskilled labor employed by BOI promoted companies.
- New Smart Visa Project under the August 2017 approval of the Cabinet and the upcoming Eastern Economic Corridor Act.
- Accounting and tax issues arising from the retirement severance pay under the amended labor protection law.
- Kowit Somwaiya, Partner, Law Plus Co. Ltd. - Kowit holds a B.A. (English) from Ubon Ratchathani Rajbhat University, an LL.B. from Thammasat University, an LL.M. from the University of Illinois and a Certificate of Instruction for Lawyers from Harvard Law School. He worked with Domnern Somgiat & Boonma for seven and a half years, with Chandler & Thong-ek Law Offices for four and a half years, and for four years as a partner of George & Kowit. Before founding LawPlus Ltd. in 2003, he was the Managing Partner of the Bangkok Office of a leading UK law firm Herbert Smith Freehills. He found LawPlus Myanmar Ltd. in 2013. Kowit has over 30 years experience in laws on banking, corporate, foreign direct investment, merger and acquisitions, intellectual property, IT, telecoms, dispute resolution and litigation.
- John Casella, Managing Partner, PKF Tax and Consulting Services (Thailand) Ltd. - John Casella is the Managing Partner at PKF Tax and Consulting Services (Thailand) Limited, a dynamic professional services firm, with expertise in advisory and compliance services across Corporate Legal, Accounting, Payroll, and Taxation. The PKF global network of firms has more than 400 offices operating in 150 countries. John has more than 25 years of professional experience in accounting, business consultancy and management positions for a wide range of companies and projects in S.E. Asia and North America. Before establishing the PKF firm in Thailand, John spent more than 4 years with Baker Tilly Thailand and 10 years before that in corporate advisory services throughout SE Asia. John started his career as a financial auditor for Arthur Andersen at their Canadian head office in Toronto. John holds an active CPA license in both the U.S. and Canada. He is a graduate of the University of Windsor and the University of Western Ontario in Canada. John is a past President and current Director of the Thai-Canadian Chamber of Commerce.
8 am Registration and buffet breakfast
08:30 am Sessions Starts
10:00 am Q&A
10:30 am Session End
Please join our HR and legal advisers for a detailed discussion and Q&A at this highly anticipated and well-attended annual event.